This post was originally published at Novelicious.com and is now at WritingTipsOasis.com. WritingTipsOasis.com acquired Novelicious.com in June 2022.
Let's be honest – any month is the perfect month for reading. But we like coming up with extra reasons why you should be reading more books RIGHT NOW. So here is why we think January is totally the best month for reading.
1. All those books you got for Christmas. It would be rude not to read them as soon as possible. So rude. They were gifts and you're not rude, are you?
2. The weather is terrible. If you go outside you'll have to deal with wind and cold and people poking you in the cheek with their gigantic umbrellas. It makes far more sense to just stay inside. With a book. And a brew. Under some sort of blanket.
3. You're a bit skint. After the excesses of the festive season it's time to tighten the purse strings. You can't afford to gallivant off around town. The FRUGAL AND RESPONSIBLE CHOICE would be to simply stay in with a book. And if you can't afford new books, guess what, the motherfuckin' library has them for free.
4. Start this year off in the right way. January is the perfect time to set a good example to yourself about the kind of person you want to be this year. Sod the new diet, dry January, the empty promises to stop biting your nails. Resolve to read more books. A noble resolution, we think.
5. Post Christmas Blues. Back to work, back to reality, no more brazenly eating mince pies and quality street for breakfast. No wonder January can sometimes feel a bit sucky. But guess what? Books! Books cheer you up. Drop yourself into an exciting new story, get to know a wonderful new set of literary friends and those mince pies will be but a distant memory.