This post was originally published at Novelicious.com and is now at WritingTipsOasis.com. WritingTipsOasis.com acquired Novelicious.com in June 2022.
Libraries are wonderful and, I think, a true sign of a civilised society. It's miraculous to me that you can walk into a library and read for free. That you can take a stack of books away with you – as often as you like – and read them wherever you choose, takes my breath away. Librarians are advocates for, and curators of, literature. They work on the front line, quite literally placing books into the hands of children and adults. I'm devastated by the budget cuts which threaten many of our libraries, and I'm delighted that there are so many brilliant gifts and accessories that celebrate them. Come on, let's show some library love!
1. Okay, Germaine Greer says it much better than me: "Libraries are reservoirs of strength, grace and wit, reminders of order, calm, continuity, lakes of mental energy, neither warm nor cold, light nor dark. The pleasure they give is steady, unorgiastic, reliable, deep and long-lasting." The quote is printed onto a sturdy cotton bag which, coincidentally, is perfect for carrying your haul home from the library… £5 from The Literary Gift Company.
2. Keep track of your own book collection with this Personal Library Kit. It includes self-adhesive pockets, circulation cards and a date stamp. £11.99 from Waterstones.
The following banner is an affiliate one. That means Writing Tips Oasis receive a small % of the sale if you purchase The Novel Factory, but at no extra cost to you:
3. Choose from either librarian (red), library monitor (blue) or library assistant (green) and give somebody the ultimate job title. The enamelled badges costs £3.95 each, and are gift boxed. The Literary Gift Company.
4. This fine bone-china mug is made exclusively for the world-famous Bodleian Library in Oxford. It costs £14 and all profits go towards the conservation of the library's papers and manuscripts.
5. Wear your love of libraries around your neck. This handmade necklace features a library art print sealed underneath a glass dome which both protects and magnifies the image. It comes with a 24 inch ball chain and costs £5.85 from MissingPiecesStudio on Etsy.