This post was originally published at Novelicious.com and is now at WritingTipsOasis.com. WritingTipsOasis.com acquired Novelicious.com in June 2022.
I know, I know, I’m sure you all think I’ve finally lost it. I mean… Paper clips! But, honestly, this small accessory deserves lots of your stationery love. Paper fasteners come in all shapes and sizes – from the tiny paper clip to temporarily hold a couple of slips of paper, to the giant binder clip, capable of gripping half a forest in its mighty jaws. Take a look at these five beauties before you tell me I'm wrong.
1. I love the design of these bicycle paper clips and that each one is slightly different. They are sturdy enough to use as bookmarks and the fact that they are blue is a happy bonus. Also available in a 'scooter' variety, the set of four clips costs £3.50 from the Tate online.
2. Why not organise your paperwork with a fleet of sail boats? These adorable embroidered cotton boats from Anthropologie are colourful and distinctive. They cost £12 for a set of eight.
3. If you need to grip more than a couple of sheets of paper, then a binder clip is a good option. These Typo clips have useful organisational slogans and the set includes fourteen clips in two sizes (32mm and 19mm). £4 from Paperchase.
4. For serious paper-holding, or just because it's gorgeous, how about this industrial-chic antique clip? This Esterbrook No.4 metal clip has a smooth ball bearing action and holes through the top of the handles for hanging. I love the Nouveau design and the surface patina. Around £16 from Etsy, or look for similar in your local antiques market.
5. Made by popular Japanese stationery designer, Midori, these cute OJ bird clips are pretty and functional. Each clip holds around twenty sheets of paper and there are six in a pack. £5.99 from The Journal Shop, which also stocks the yellow duck, red apple, mushroom and pig varieties.