A good, handwritten letter is something of a creative act these days. We all know that an email can be typed up and whizzed across to the intended recipient in a fraction of the time, but there’s something so joyful in the act of writing a letter. The delicate cursive, the crossed out words and splatters of ink, which manifest as you chew absently on the end of your pen while pondering what to replace them with. Not to mention, it’s a personal and wondrous feeling to receive a pretty, stamped and hand-addressed envelope in the mail – just for you.
Whatever cause you have to put pen to paper, here are five pretty sets that are perfect to have on hand.
1. Handprinted, each of the cards in the Stay in Touch Correspondence Kit opens out to reveal a double sided A4 paper blank, providing plenty of space for writing, drawing or doodling messages. There are five designs in each set including ‘Top secret stuff contained inside’, ‘Fresh gossip shhh dont tell anyone’, ‘Only read this if you're prepared to smile a lot’ and ‘Lets run away and join a circus’. £11 from Not On The High Street.
2. This darling Alice in Wonderland illustrated writing set comes with four sheets of writing paper, two envelopes and two sealing stickers. £2.50 from giftaholic on Etsy.
3. You don’t have to write pages and pages for someone to feel touched by your handwritten sentiment. Let the Every Occasion Notecard Set do the talking for you with designs including ‘Just Thinking of You’ and ‘Oh Hello Friend’. £18 from Anthropologie.
4. Oregon-based illustrator Katie Daisy is well known within the folk art world for taking simple, everyday shapes and turning them into something beautiful. Her Be Still notecards do exactly that with a reminder that ‘all good things are wild and free’. The ‘let’s sleep under the stars’ card is our favourite. £7 from The Wheatfield on Etsy.
5. The gold foil printed cards in the Spotty Dotty Gold Box Set are great to have for last-minute birthdays and anniversaries. Or just because. You’ll find two of each design in every set, too. £13.95 from Nancy & Betty.
Which is your favourite?