This post was originally published at Novelicious.com and is now at WritingTipsOasis.com. WritingTipsOasis.com acquired Novelicious.com in June 2022.
Lucy Robinson is the author of the very hilarious The Greatest Love Story of All Time. Our full interview with Lucy will run later on this week.
LUCY'S TOP TIPS FOR WRITERS
1. Don’t try to do too much in one day. In my experience, less is more. My best and most productive days never involve more than six writing periods of forty-five minutes. That model has saved my life!
2. Create characters that are – in some way or another – part of you. If they’re not connected to your own mind they will never really develop colour and life.
3. Expect to write a LOT of rubbish. And to have to get rid of it, however painful. My rubbish / good stuff ratio is about 60/40.
4. When you hit a big problem with your plot and you start to feel a bit crazed and panicky, stop. You’ll never solve a problem in that state. Take a break, a walk, have a bath. Start again tomorrow.
5. (Note to self) Read books within your genre.