This post was originally published at Novelicious.com and is now at WritingTipsOasis.com. WritingTipsOasis.com acquired Novelicious.com in June 2022.
Compiled by Laura Bambrey
Have you noticed how book lovers also tend to be obsessed with stationary? Notebooks in particular seem to hold a particularly high spot on our lust-after-lists. So, I thought that was probably the perfect place to start. But the goodies today aren’t just your plain old swoon-worthy notebooks. These are something that, as a book-lover, you’ll not only want but NEED in your life (or at least that’s my excuse, and I’m sticking to it.)
The following banner is an affiliate one. That means Writing Tips Oasis receive a small % of the sale if you purchase The Novel Factory, but at no extra cost to you:
Yup, ladies and gents, I bring you a rather dreamy selection of reading journals. Perfect for recording your reads as you go- making notes of all their vitals statistics. Treat yourself to one of these little beauties and you’ll never find yourself stuck for an answer when someone asks you for a recommendation when you’re least expecting it. (If you’re anything like me, I read dozens of books in quick succession, but my brain miraculously wipes itself clean when I’m put on the spot!)
1. Reading Log - One of the larger journals out there (just a little bit shorter than A4), this lovely softback journal is a beauty to take pride of place on your shelves. It has 100 pages to record your reads and a blank contents page at the front to help you keep track.
2. The Book Lover’s Journal - At slightly smaller than A5 size, this sleek little number should fit most handbags- and even a coat pocket at a push- so, perfect for a trip to the library or local bookshop.
As well as a reading log, it includes pages to list books borrowed, lent, or gifted (even a place to list books you'd like to gift), your book sources, and book group contact information (see right).
3. Moleskine Passion Books Journal - I have to say, this one is up there with my favourites as I have a real thing for Moleskine notebooks! And again, it’s the perfect size for a handbag or coat pocket.
A gorgeous cover, alphabetised pages to personalise, adhesive labels to help you do it- and of course, their signature expandable inner pocket. A book-loving-stationary-aficionado’s dream.
4. My Bibliofile - With plenty of pages to record and review your reads, this hardback journal also includes reading lists (award winners (some US based), notable books & genre favourites). Measures 15 x 18 cm.
It also has a cool feature – 'Reading Trees' – which you can fill in to help you figure out which book to read next and which books to recommend to others.
5. Books I’ve Read: A Bibliophile’s Journal - This one combines book-geekery with beautiful illustrations of home-libraries and reading nooks, and is a lovely object in its own right! As well as sections for keeping your own notes, this journal also contains recommended reading lists from a variety of sources such as the Pulitzer Prize, Man Booker, and National Book Award winners, Modern Library's 100 Best Novels and BBC's Best Novels – as well as prompts for making your own lists (e.g. Most Beautiful Books, Books I've Given as Gifts, Books I Loved as a Child).
This is one to fill in and treasure.
6. What I Read - Truly pocket-sized, with a striking red hard-cover- this is one to take with you wherever you go. Room to jot down your thoughts and keep track of what you’ve read as well as making checklists and notes on what you want to read next.
7. Reading Journal - A sweet and simple A5 journal. At just 36 pages, this is perfect to take with you everywhere. This little gem would also make a perfect stocking-filler.
Do you keep a journal already? Any of the above take your fancy? Be sure to tweet us and let us know!