This post was originally published at Novelicious.com and is now at WritingTipsOasis.com. WritingTipsOasis.com acquired Novelicious.com in June 2022.
I know what you're all thinking … What? There's food mentioned in the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy? I know, I know – there are so many other things going on in the novel that you don't really remember the food aspect. But you know what? There is food. And lots of it. I've even found a pinterest board, which details all the foodie mentions. It's brilliant.
And (and!) there are numerous books called Fifty Shades of Gravy to be found on Amazon. Mmm, gravy …
Yes, that's right, do not be fooled, Fifty Shades of Grey is more about food than anything else.
So when I read that Anastasia Steele decided to bake Christian Grey a birthday cake in Fifty Shades Darker – a chocolate birthday cake at that – I just had to make one myself. After all, it is also my husband's birthday this week.
You can forget all that other stuff that goes on in the novels. The playroom and all those different gadgets Mr Grey seems very fond of. Make one of these chocolate cakes and dive straight into it. Because, oh!! You know what I'm talking about, right? It is absolutely delicious.
Saucepan. Three sandwich cake baking tins the same size, greased and floured. (You can, of course, divide the mixture between two tins but will need to bake for slightly longer).
200g dark chocolate
200g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
100g caster sugar
125g light brown soft sugar
For the ganache
125g dark chocolate
50g milk chocolate
200ml double cream
1 tbsp caster sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 140 fan.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together, very gently, and do not allow to boil. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl mix the eggs with the milk.
- Combine all the ingredients together in the large bowl.
- Mix well, inhale the wonderful chocolate scent, then pour into the greased baking tins.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes if dividing the mixture into three tins.
- The sponges will be done when you press gently and it springs back.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Make the ganache by breaking the chocolate into a bowl. Heat the cream and sugar in a saucepan until nearly boiling.
- Pour over the broken chocolate and stir.
- When the chocolate has melted it will cool and thicken.
- Sandwich the sponge layers together with the ganache.
- Then spread some over the top and sides.
- Stick candles in the top, light and sing happy birthday.