This post was originally published at Novelicious.com and is now at WritingTipsOasis.com. WritingTipsOasis.com acquired Novelicious.com in June 2022.
If you're stuffing books into every available space, bookends can seem like something of a luxury. After all, you could use a pile of books to hold a line of books up, thereby increasing your book-storing capacity. Despite this, there's something undeniably wonderful about an object whose sole purpose in life is to hold books upright. They give me hope for the human race, you know?
1. We've featured owl bookends before (these lovely linen ones) but I couldn't resist these cast-resin owls. Adorable, no? Yes, I've got a 'thing' for owls… I can't help myself. They're £21.99 from The Contemporary Home on NotOnTheHighStreet.
The following banner is an affiliate one. That means Writing Tips Oasis receive a small % of the sale if you purchase The Novel Factory, but at no extra cost to you:
2. I love typography and the colour red so this glossy metal sign by Goodwin + Goodwin hits the spot. Francophiles might like the mint green 'Fin' version, too. £19.95 (each) or £34.95 (a pair) from NotOnTheHighStreet.
3. How about a forest of books? These 'spring' bookends blend fairytale nostalgia with modern design. The bookends are made from laser cut metal by Design Atelier Article, and are available for £34.95 from MyDeco.
4. Oh, pretty! The Turquesa bookends have a matt turquoise painted finish and an illustrated bee motif. These bad boys will lend instant class to your bookshelf. Pass the sherry… £39 from OKA.
5. These petrified wood bookends from Anthropologie win the prize for being the most expensive bookends in the round up, but they're also a piece of geological history and really, really beautiful. As they're natural products, no pair will be exactly alike. If you have an Anthropologie shop nearby I'd recommend choosing them in 'real life' so that you can pick your personal favourite. If you like the idea of holding up your books with attractive rocks but can't quite stretch to the £128 price tag, have a peek at this 'one of a kind' pair of agate bookends in natural grey. £51.99 from Crystal Age.