This post was originally published at Novelicious.com and is now at WritingTipsOasis.com. WritingTipsOasis.com acquired Novelicious.com in June 2022.
Mastermind behind TV programmes such as Loose Women, Come Dine With Me and The Paul O’Grady show, we chatted to ITV Daytime Director Helen Warner last week about her passion for writing as well as her latest novel With or Without You. This week, Helen shares five very practical writing tips.
1. Don’t prevaricate. Just open your laptop/notepad and get started.
2. Always move forward. Don’t keep reading and editing.
3. When you get writer’s block, which you will, just write anything and you’ll be amazed by what comes out.
4. Keep going. Halfway through you novel, it will feel as if you are climbing a mountain. Just soldier on until you have finished it.
5. Listen to your editor. I don’t see the point in having a brilliant editor and ignoring them. I do everything my editor tells me!