This post was originally published at Novelicious.com and is now at WritingTipsOasis.com. WritingTipsOasis.com acquired Novelicious.com in June 2022.
There have been a number of books published in parts lately. It seems to be a recent phenomenon, taking advantage of the rise in ebook devices, making a novel bite-sized for the commute or for the busy woman. But it is, in fact, nothing new. Stephen King's The Green Mile was published as a series back in the 1990s before being released as a whole. And even further back, way back in 1836, there was the publication of The Pickwick Papers. In fact, as my Novelicious colleagues reminded me when we were chatting about this, many of Dickens's novels were first published in installments. Charles Dickens, or his publishers, pioneered serial fiction with his novels being published in weekly or monthly installments.
Back to the present, here is our pick of modern novels being published in installments.
1. Ivy Lane by Cathy Bramley – Ivy Lane comes in four parts as an ebook. Spring and Summer have been published, with Autumn and Winter arriving later this year. The paperback with the whole story will be published in Spring 2015. Ivy Lane is the story of Tilly Parker who is looking for a fresh start. The allotments would be a perfect place for peace and quiet. Wouldn't they? I've probably said this before, but I'll say it again, I adore the covers for Ivy Lane and how the shed changes in the seasons. Simple, but effective.
The following banner is an affiliate one. That means Writing Tips Oasis receive a small % of the sale if you purchase The Novel Factory, but at no extra cost to you:
2. A Girl Called Summer by Lucy Lord – this novel will be published in full on July 17th but the e-book has been serialised in six parts, with the first (Chapters 1 – 6) being released on 30th June, completely free. A Girl Called Summer takes us to the sun-drenched island of Ibiza. With a cast including Bella, Andy, Tamara and, of course, a girl called Summer.
3. The Story of You by Katy Regan – this novel will be published in paperback in September. But if you cannot wait that long, and maybe if you have been hearing the same things as me about it you probably can't, it is now available in full as an ebook. It was originally published in four parts. The Story of You looks back at the events in Robyn's life during one year in the 1990s and how it has affected the woman she is today.
4. You Had Me at Merlot by Lisa Dickenson – with wonderfully vibrant covers, the first part of You Had Me at Merlot, is published today as an ebook. The following three parts will be published in weekly intervals. Elle and Laurie are both single, in fact, probably the last ones to be single. For Elle this is fine but Laurie is looking for love. So when Laurie begs Elle to come on a singles holiday to Tuscany – how bad could it be?
5. A Place for Us by Harriet Evans – part one will be released at the end of July with the following three parts in monthly installments. The paperback will be released in January 2015. The day Martha Winter decided to tear apart her family began like any other day…
Can you think of any that we havene't mentioned? Let us know your recommendations in the comments!