This post was originally published at Novelicious.com and is now at WritingTipsOasis.com. WritingTipsOasis.com acquired Novelicious.com in June 2022.
Having both self-published and traditionally published six novels including her latest, The No-Kids Club, Talli Roland is pretty well placed to offer writing advice. Here, she shares her top five tips for aspiring novelists.
1. Give yourself permission to write absolute rubbish on the first draft. Don’t worry too much about revising as you go along – just make it to the end.
2. Don’t wait for inspiration or ‘the muse’ to strike. In my opinion, the most important thing is sitting down and hammering out the words.
3. If one novel doesn’t get published, start writing another. You’ll only get better with practice.
4. Don’t get too hung up on publication. Remember why you enjoy writing in the first place.
5. Go online or head to a writer’s group to meet other writers. They’re such a wonderful support and can really do wonders when you’re banging your head against the wall.